Friday 7 November 2014

Autumn leaves

I thoroughly enjoy the meetings held by West Forest Potters because each month we invite a well known potter to come and demonstrate and talk about their work. This is a fantastic opportunity to gain further inspiration and possibly learn new skills to include in our own work.

In Sept 2013, I was enthralled by the work of Liz Teall who uses real leaves as a resist for slip decoration of her work. Over the past few weeks I have finally got around to experimenting with this technique. After a fair amount of trial and error I am starting to produce some pieces which I am fairly happy with. My first successful pieces were a pair of 'double bowls' which I made as new bowls for the cats, they appear to be delighted with them!!

Cat bowls













 I like using my small heart bowls to experiment with different decorative techniques, as well as using leaves from the garden, I have also cut paper spirals (got to have my koru in somewhere).

Heart bowls

Koru and fern leaf heart bowl
 I have also used this technique to decorate a 'salt pig'


I am sufficiently happy with my results so far that I plan to continue to develop this technique, but may have to wait until next year when I have more leaves in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment