Thursday 14 March 2013

Stock Piling

Over the past few weeks I have been busy preparing work to exhibit (and hopefully sell) at two events taking place on the May Bank Holiday weekend.

After my successful first exhibition last year with West Forest Potters as part of the Henley Arts Trail; I have been looking forward to this year's event, which takes place on the 4th - 6th May 2013. The event attracts a lot of visitors, so is an ideal opportunity to exhibit some larger, more expensive pieces of work. With this in mind, I plan to include my recently completed rock-form water feature.
Rock form water feature - Ceramic, sea glass and pebbles (h~65cm)
I have also made a new set of Calla Lilies.
Calla Lilies - Ceramic, copper & oak base (h~110cm)

When making my lily heads, I thought it would be fun to try making a vase in this shape, I am pleased with the result (and the vase even holds water!)
Calla Lily Vase (h-18cm, d-9cm)
The other event taking place on the May Bank Holiday weekend is the Thrive-Spring Open Gardens on Saturday 4th May. It will be a busy weekend, but I hope that sales will be good to go towards the recent cost of my kiln and equipment.

New stock for the weekend includes:-

Hei matau (h-23cm, w-16cm)
A hei matau is typically a bone or greenstone carving in the shape of a highly stylised fish hook typical of the New Zealand Maori. They represent strength, good luck and safe travel across water. This is my interpretation made in clay and using the lovely marble green glaze.


Burnished and smoked abstract (h-21cm, w-16cm)
I plan to make mounts for both of these pieces from yew or spalted beech, waiting for warmer weather to work on the wood either outside or in the garage.

Triple bowl (h-9cm, d-14cm)
Continuing to develop and refine (?) my triple bowl idea; this time I used a large light bulb as a mould for the bowls, which worked well and used the marble green glaze inside, so no worries about the glaze running onto the kiln shelf. Unfortunately managed to break the koru on the handle before the piece was fired, a little judicious re-shaping has salved the piece.

I am also making more bowls, birds and garlic pots; as well as making ear-rings and cards using small ceramic hearts and flowers.

If you are free on the Bank holiday weekend, do come and have a look either in Henley or at Thrive.


No comments:

Post a Comment