Friday 30 December 2011

Big Bottoms!

As part of the one year Access course we spent one afternoon a week battling with the challenges of 'Life Drawing', often our results did not look very 'human'! However we were encouraged to experiment with our drawing styles and to try to 'free up' our approach to representing what we saw before us. At times I found this quite hard as I was used to trying to exactly represent what I saw and to be very precise in the way I drew or painted. I learnt a lot and I am sure that my skills improved as a result. During the course I started to create a human figure in clay, but ran out of time to complete it, so he was condemned to the re-cycling bin. The figure was due to be a 3-D representation of a painting which I saw and loved at the tender age of 18 on a visit to the Louvre, Paris; I still have the post-card, so have scanned in this image.
Jeune homme nu assis au bord de la mer - Hippolyte Flandrin (1809-1864)   

The time had come to try once again to use my life drawing skills to produce a figure in 3 dimensions using clay. I decided this time to model my figure on myself (hence the big bottom), many sketches that I had made and also the influence of the figures of Vanessa Pooley.

'Hippy' (~20cm)
 Pleased with this result, I decided that she needed a companion, once again a curled female form.


 I especially like the backbone which emerged as I was making this second lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment