Wednesday 28 December 2011

Driftwood

I love beach combing and have spent many a happy hour wandering along beaches with my head down and pockets bulging with the treasures I find. We spend our annual summer holiday very close to the beautiful Marloes Sands Beach in Pembrokeshire and I now know where the best collections of driftwood are to be found by scrambling over rocks at low tide. We always return with a new supply of driftwood. A few years ago I rediscovered the fun of using a penknife to whittle wood (as a child I regularly whittled arrows for games of 'cowboys and indians' with my older brother), I have since learned to be more creative and now whittle shells, dolphins and hearts, as well as more abstract shapes which are governed by the piece of driftwood.
I felt it was time to start using my driftwood within my artwork and started by producing a range of mobiles.
Driftwood and small ceramic hearts
Driftwood wind spiral with carved driftwood heart
 I also made a selection of mirrors with driftwood frames.


As well as making small ceramic hearts to use with my driftwood mobiles, I have also made small birds.
I have had a lot of fun carefully selecting and piecing together driftwood together to create hearts, here is a picture of the first of these.
Driftwood Heart (30x33cm)
The final images in this posting show some of my abstract pieces 'whittled' out of driftwood.
Carved spiral mounted on driftwood


No comments:

Post a Comment